BMI Students

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Typefaces

Choosing typefaces can be stressful, and if you are not careful you could end up using Comic Sans, or Arial (this is Zach-style font snobbery, the most enjoyable kind). That's why I have made a list of fonts I can refer to. For those unaware, serif is better for long strings of text, particularly printed text; it's less tiring to follow.

Best serif fonts (from bamag.com): Garamond (a common font), Caslon (apparently best for books), Stone, Jaslon. I don't really like serif but sometimes there is no choice.

Best for the web: Verdana, it's common enough (unlike, say, Century Schoolbook, which I also like), and it looks nicer than Arial/Helvetica.

Best sans-serif: Apple knows a lot about nice fonts, so I figure I will copy them. They use Myriad for packaging/ads etc, and it's exceptionally nice. They also use Helvetica Neue sometimes. Finally, Lucida Grande is the "OS X font".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home